Thursday, March 5, 2009

Feb. 28 - Utah 50, BYU 63

Last Saturday I shot the rivalry basketball game down in Provo. Covering the Utes in previous years I have gained some experience shooting post-game disappointment. The way the Utes had been playing this year, however, I thought I might get to shoot celebration for a change. After BYU shut down the Utah offense in the second half, that's not what happened.







I'm not sure if Tavernari was having a friendly chat here or taunting Nevill in the second half.



Near the end of the game, this failed and forced offensive play was pretty much the KO punch for the Utes.





I saw the Tribune ran with a shot similar to the above photo (Rick's moment was better than mine). One thing I liked about this shot though is how the the white basketball standard in the top-left corner makes it feel like the ball is jumping out of the photograph. I think it adds to the overall effect of the image, but some might just find it distracting. Let me know what you think.

Another thing I have been noticing is that despite the 5D Mk II's great high-ISO noise performance, everything I take with it seems a bit soft in comparison the 1D Mk II. The Cummard shot below, albeit grainy, seems to have such a greater level of detail than the shot above taken with the 5D.

1 comment:

Erik said...

That is way interesting to see that noticeable difference in detail. I haven't even looked into this with my camera but do you have sharpening settings programmed with your 1D?